2012-07-13 / Community

A Window on the Past

Then and now – Prescott’s Pharmacy
By Kathryn DiPhilippo
South Portland Historical Society


Theold Prescott’s Pharmacy building on Cottage Road in South Portland how it appears today. (Courtesy photos) Theold Prescott’s Pharmacy building on Cottage Road in South Portland how it appears today. (Courtesy photos) Our thanks to Diane Rollins for sharing some information on her family’s pharmacy in South Portland. Diane’s grandfather, Frederick C. Prescott, and her uncle, Gordon A. Prescott, were both registered pharmacists and took over operation of the Cottage Road Pharmacy from the Cassidys around 1957. The Cottage Road Pharmacy was located at 380 Cottage Road. Nine years later, around 1966, Fred and Gordon Prescott moved their pharmacy into a new building across the street at 367 Cottage Road. According to a news article at the time, the new pharmacy building essentially doubled the floor space of the business, increased the size of the soda fountain, allowed for a larger product line, had wall-to-wall carpeting and offered more parking for customers.

Shown in the older photograph is the pharmacy on the corner of Fairlawn Avenue at the time of its grand opening. The current-day photo taken last week shows that the roof line has changed, along with dormers and new window openings in the masonry building.



The pharmacy used to be located on the corner of Fairlawn Avenue in South Portland. (Courtesy photo) The pharmacy used to be located on the corner of Fairlawn Avenue in South Portland. (Courtesy photo)

Return to top