2012-08-03 / Community

A Window on the Past

Then and Now – South Portland city dump
By Kathryn DiPhilippo
South Portland Historical Society


Above, to the left is the old city dump before it was turned into Mill Creek Park. Left, the same bridge exists now that did in the historical photo. (Courtesy photos) Above, to the left is the old city dump before it was turned into Mill Creek Park. Left, the same bridge exists now that did in the historical photo. (Courtesy photos) This week’s then-and-now photos show a significant change in the Mill Creek area.

The early photo comes from the Mike Eastman Collection at the South Portland Historical Society that shows Cottage Road in the foreground with a terrific glimpse of the old city dump beyond, on the left half of the photo, before it was turned into Mill Creek Park. The long building in the right half of the photo is the old A & P store; now site of Mill Creek Financial Center where Town & Country FCU and Noyes, Hall & Allen Insurance are now located. Another interesting piece in the older photograph is the billboard to the right of the A & P with an advertisement for Tydol. Billboards used to be quite common around the area of the dump. The dump was converted to Mill Creek Park from 1945 through 1955.

In the photo taken this week, we see the same bridge wall on Cottage Road going over the creek; at some point, the wall received an attractive topping off of brick. This location on Cottage Road is between Hannaford and Mill Cove Apartments. The crossing for the Greenbelt Walkway now follows along where the train tracks used to run. With all of the trees at the edge of the park, it’s hard to see what lies beyond, but safe to say that construction in the park is coming along at a good pace and we should have a much improved park come October.

Return to top