2013-07-05 / Community

A Window on the Past

Broadview Park
By Kathryn DiPhilippo
South Portland Historical Society


In this aerial view of Broadview Park, Alfred Street can be seen, curving from the top right to the middle left. Below, the Community Building at Broadview Park. (Courtesy photos) In this aerial view of Broadview Park, Alfred Street can be seen, curving from the top right to the middle left. Below, the Community Building at Broadview Park. (Courtesy photos) We continue this week with our look at another of the World War II shipyard housing complexes in South Portland. Broadview Park was located in the area between Evans Street and Highland Avenue, along Alfred Street and adjoining streets. The accompanying photographs and text come from the 1953 10th anniversary program of the South Portland Housing Authority:

“Broadview Park covers 28 acres and contained 300 units, a Community Building, playground and a public school. The original Broadview Park had only 100 duplex demountable dwelling units and was opened for occupancy in February, 1943. Subsequently, 200 temporary units were added. Eleven of these temporary buildings, with 66 dwelling units, were removed following the close of the war. The remaining 234 units are still in use, the demountables being fully occupied. The order to vacate temporary units was received in July, 1953 – the termination date, June 30, 1954. Originally intended for 100 families, the small Community Building of 2,416 square feet has proved to be very inadequate for the enlarged project. An athletic field and skating rink have been developed in areas from which the temporary buildings have been removed.”

The school mentioned in the report was the Marion Street School, which was later renamed Dyer School.

Return to top