2017-09-15 / Community

Window on the Past

Holy Cross, before new construction
By Kathryn Onos DiPhilippo
South Portland Historical Society


The old Holy Cross Church building, shown here in 1957, had a capacity for approximately 400 people. When the new church building opened in 1958, it increased the seating capacity to 1,100. (Courtesy photo) The old Holy Cross Church building, shown here in 1957, had a capacity for approximately 400 people. When the new church building opened in 1958, it increased the seating capacity to 1,100. (Courtesy photo) Our historic photograph this week was recently donated to the historical society by Betty Honan. The photo was taken in summer 1957 and shows the final days of the old Holy Cross Church, before it was torn down to make room for the construction of the new Holy Cross Church that we see on Cottage Road today. The original church building was erected in 1913. The old ivy-covered fa├žades were very nice to look at, but having plants growing on a building can cause much faster deterioration of building materials.

If you have historic photographs of South Portland to share, please contact the South Portland Historical Society at 767-7299, by email at sphistory04106@gmail.com, or drop by the museum for a visit. The museum is located at 55 Bug Light Park, South Portland, and is open daily, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Kathryn Onos DiPhilippo is executive director of South Portland Historical Society.

Return to top